4/02/2008

many ways to Share the Gospel

http://www.thejournalofstudentministries.com/articles/90/1/Tossing-Aside-the-Tract/Page1.html

I read an interesting article online today from Journal of Student Ministries Magazine/EMagazine I want to bring up a few points, summarize the article, add my own commentary, and ask you what you think.
Grant English brings up some great points but I think it is important to keep in mind that this issue does not have to be a false dichotomy. The issue: using tracks in evangelism.
The more I think about this article, the more think it more about evangelism theory and relational sharing vs initiative sharing.( although it is not what the author intended).
Grant says that "Most of our evangelism methods are filled with assumptions about our culture that are no longer true. Further exacerbating the problem is the manner in which these dated assumptions are trotted out. "

I agree that our culture is changing rapidly and the assumptions that cannot be applied the same way to the culture today, say like the language, questions, and style of tracks. But the tracks present the gospel message, and that message of The Word of God is always the same no matter what the culture thinks.
To every culture, any time, any place, the "assumptions" within the Gospel presentations are truth. All men are sinners, looking for true fulfillment. And the relationship with Jesus Christ, because of His sacrifice for our sins, is the answer for the void.
I will agree with Grant again, that our culture is desiring more authentic relational experiences. And as Christians we should engage the culture for Christ's sake and share the Gospel.
I'll go back to what I started with, "I think the article is more about the difference between relationship vs. initiative evangelism. "
I think that both of these types of evangelism are important. I really admire Campus Crusade for Christ and their emphasis on both and the balance between the two types of evangelism in their ministry. But I could talk about this a lot more. A great resource for this topic is a book called Witnessing Without Fear by Bill Bright.