4/24/2010

Some Reflections after reading portions of Desiring God by John Piper

As I said I have been reading, Desiring God : Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper. So the first question that comes to mind is, "what is this idea of 'Christian Hedonist?'" So this blog will help answer that question. Today's blog will not answer the question fully but as I dive into this book, I will blog more and more and the answer to this question and many more will be discussed. The book is based on the Bible. The first underlying virtue that I want to discuss is this theme:The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. In other words, the ultimate end to man and mankind is to bring glory to God by taking pleasure in God and His attributes. Some people might have problems with this idea because:Never heard of this idea beforeUnsure and uncomfortable with such an extreme endBelieve that there is another end to manDo not believe in God So is this idea Biblical? Isaiah 60:21. Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified. Romans 11:36. For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen. 1 Corinthians 6:20, 31. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.... Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.Revelation 4:11. Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. (also read Ps 86) So yes, I think it is pretty clear. God created us to glorify Him. What do you think?